1851 – 1868
The first school started in the vestry of the Dutch Reformed Church. Mr M.G. Human insisted on the school being started here. A school building was erected between the church and the hall in 1862. The church paid all expenses including the teachers’ salaries.
1868 – 1893
An education law in 1868 determined that the government would pay half of the salaries and other public institutions the rest. The governance of the school was then taken over by a commission compiled from members of various public organisations. In 1880 the school buildings were expanded; an additional classroom was added and rented from the church. In 1892 C.M. van Coller became the first learner to pass matric in Humansdorp.
1893 – 1898
A pound for pound system was started in 1893 and the government contributed according to this system. The “Humansdorp Undenominational Public School” was started under this new law and the school building was leased from the church.
1898 – 1913
In 7898 the management of the town bought 4 plots from the church at £850. The church had already made this property available for a new school in 1897. Alfred Milner (later sir) was asked to lay the new corner stone during his visit to Humansdorp from 14 – 16 September 1897. He could unfortunately not comply with this request, but he agreed that the school’s name could change to “Milner Institute”. The corner stone was laid by the magistrate, C.W. Andrews. The building was completed in 1898 at a cost of £1950 and on 25 July 1898 the new building was officially opened by the Superintendent general of Education.
1914 – 1920
On 4 April 1913 the corner stone was laid for further extentions to the school buildings at a cost of £2,183. Due to Alfred Milner’s role in the Anglo Boere War the school’s name was changed. Mr C.W. Malan (later a minister) suggested that the name be changed to “Humansdorp Publieke Skool”. A second extention was added in 1918 at a cost of £1,800.
1920 – 1959
From 1920 onwards the school was known as Humansdorp Hoërskool (High School). In 1930 a further 4 classrooms were built, including a Science- and Woodwork classroom for the amount of £2,572. In 1939 a separate school building was built for the junior learners and thus Stulting Primary School was established for learners up to grade 4 in 1940.
In 1940 Lushof-hostel opened its doors for 78 boarders – girls and boys. In the 1950’s the girls first moved to Sonop in Alexander Street and later to Dagbreek in Du Plessis Street.
In 1953 a right wing was added at the cost of £13,000, but soon there was a need for more space and it was decided to build a new school building in 1959.
1959 – currently
In 1959 the building of the new school started at the cost of £80,000. The levelling and lay out of the sports’ fields cost a further £10,000. There were also plans to build a swimming pool at the cost of £6,000.
On the 29th of March 1960, Nico Malan High School opened its doors for the first time and was inaugurated by J.N. Malan, MEC and later Administrator of the Cape. The school was named after him, because of his huge contribution towards the establishment of the school building. In 1961 the long awaited swimming pool was inaugurated as well as the girls’ hostel – Huis Meiring.
Further expansions and improvements were completed in 1983 with a bigger hall, new administrative offices, a Home Economics classroom, a Science laboratory, a Sewing room and Library.
In 1998 the clubhouse next to the sports’ fields was inaugurated and between 2000 and 2017 a further 8 classrooms were built to cater for the immense increase in learner numbers. In 2007 the new roof was added over the pavilion at the cost of R 476 508.
Sadly in 2012 three classrooms, two offices and a garage burnt down. It was rebuilt in 2013 and at the same time the layout of a new hockey field began.
After years of our requesting better security fencing, the Department of Education addressed the matter in 2016 at the cost of approximately R 2 000 000.
The well-known heraldist, Dr C. Pama, was responsible for the design of the school badge. It displays what we stand for. The eight flickering beams emphasise the motto which means that knowledge will enlighten.
The Fleur de Lis and castle are symbols from the original family crest of Dr Nico Malan. The former was awarded by French kings for outstanding service and the latter represents stead-fastness in our Creator and loyalty towards the fatherland.
The school song is the creation of Mr E.J. Gerryts, a teacher connected with Humansdorp High School and the composition has been done by Grace Edelman.
Van die Hanekam se kruine tot ons verre suiderstrand,
Van die Gamtooswateroewer tot aan Bloukransstroom se rand;
Oor die velde en die strome, deur die Tsitsikammabome
Kom ‘n roep tot hoof en hand.
Ons kom, ons kom, ons kom, ons kom
Kinders van, kinders van Hoërskool Nico Malan
Hoërskool Nico Malan